I remember having a conversation with one of my new Irish friends during my first few weeks here, and complaining about the rain during a sudden cloudburst.
"You've not seen rain," they responded.
I hadn't.
Luckily, it's Romantic Irish Rain, and as soon as I get new wellies (rain boots!) I won’t mind it as much. After all, the reason for those "40 shades of green" I love so much is Ireland's surplus of moisture. Even when it isn’t officially raining, it still MISTS. Not like a Seattle mist where you can still see the droplets, but a genuine mist that hangs in the air and can really only be seen from a distance.
Today was a misty day, and as you can see it makes my view look awesome, and I get to feel like I’m in Wuthering Heights or something every time I look out my window.
view from my balcony
However, all of this ‘misting’ creates an admittedly odd anxiety for me. It’s the type of weather where I’m not sure if I should have my hood up or not, and if I do have my hood up, I worry that I look like a bit of a pansy. Usually I leave my hood on until I run into a stylish group of pea-coat-wearing Irish girls who are so hardcore they aren’t even carrying umbrellas--and then I bravely take down my hood (to blend in, of course) and prepare myself for all of the frizzy hair that will follow.
It’s good to be back in Ireland :)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.